At least one commercial premises burglary is being reported every single day. One or two groups are believed to be behind a spate of break-ins at restaurants, cafes and commercial premises across Cardiff.
Police have made several arrests but the burglaries are understood to have continued at a rate of around one a day in October and November.
Well-known restaurants and businesses have been broken into in recent months and spoke out about the impact of being burgled, from losing income to the mental impact of their premises being targeted.
Some of the business owners have called on South Wales Police to do more. Police said on Monday that no arrests have been made except for in connection with the break ins at Giovanni’s and The Bridge Studios, a group of creative workspaces.
Officers said there had been six arrests in total in relation to commercial burglaries in recent months and said they have have launched an operation to tackle the increasing problem.
Great British Menu chef Tommy Heaney’s restaurant was recently broken into just weeks after opening. After months of building work on the former Arbenning site and crowdfunding £40,00 last year, Heaney’s officially opened on October 10. But less than a month later, the restaurant was broken into and cash was taken from the safe.
CCTV shows a man entering the Pontcanna restaurant during the early hours of Friday morning. The Crumlin-born chef said valuables in his restaurant weren’t touched, with only cash from the safe taken.
Tommy said: “They took the staff tips who have been working hard since we opened and we just want to get it out there that if there’s any information please come forward.”